Community Economic Development
Our Community Economic Development provides help in setting up small and medium enterprises, removes debt barriers to enterprise, empowers individuals to manage money, offer information and prepare businesses to be fit to acquire local government contracts, coordinates volunteer programmes to ensure skill transfer.
We offer advice & guidance, conduct seminars, workshops and have links with other business Agencies for further learning and assistance to set up and strengthen existing businesses. We also offer procurement & taster courses enabling new and potential business access procurement contracts.
Examples of what we have done:
- Manage a large managed workspace, housing a range of community facilities and services, with meeting and training rooms and halls as a successful social enterprise attracting more than 1500 people per day
- Support to over 100 micro businesses, including helping women’s groups and people with disabilities to set up as social enterprises
- Supported enterprises to take up incubation space and make the real transition into “move on accommodation” – both of which are on one site
- Support entrepreneurs in the creative and media sectors to network, access business support, and share expertise
- Help local organisations make plans for growth and increase local job opportunities
- Led on large projects that engage smaller organisations to focus on their area of expertise to impact on increasing economic opportunities to businesses
- Offering procurement and tendering skills on a consultancy basis
- Creating routes out of the Informal economy into the formal economy using social enterprise